How to Find the Location of Any IP with PyGeo IP Locator(GUI for GeoIP/pygeoip)

Based on OTW's encouragement in his post on "How to Find the Exact Location of Any IP Address", I decided to make a gui(graphical user interface) which would hopefully make the process easier.
However, because turning a python script into a standalone executable is a right pain in the nether-regions, particularly for linux, I haven't yet completed this step(I will soon and update this). I did however, make an apk for android(you use a .apk file to install an app on your android device), which you can grab here:
I know, I know, it's suspiciously large(approx. 17mb) compared to your average apk, BUT, I can explain.. Firstly, the GeoLiteCity.dat(the IP/location database) is packaged in there, and that's roughly 14mb by itself. Secondly, I used the Kivy framework(kivy.org) to create the gui. Kivy compiles basically the whole python standard library(lots of files with code in them), and many other Kivy related items into your apk whether you need them or not. Unfortunately that results in larger than usual apk sizes at the best of times, as you might expect, but I think it's worth it to be able to write android apps in Python! What I'm saying is, there's nothing malicious in there... at least, if there is, I didn't put it there and know nothing about it... haha. But seriously, there isn't.
Using it barely needs explanation, you enter any IP or domain name and press GO. The info will be returned in the window below.
Searching by IP:
Searching by host name:
And that's it, I do intend to have a standalone executable for linux(and maybe windows) as soon as I can figure it out. I know it's not ideal having it on Android just.
If anyone has a problem please let me know in the comments and I'd appreciate any feedback, as I'm sure there are bugs aplenty.
If anyone wants the source code, you are welcome to it.
Oh and one last thing, It might ask for permission to access the internet. It does this to resolve ip addresses into hostnames and vice versa. Thanks for reading! And thanks to OTW for giving me a project for the weekend. Even if no one uses it, I still feel constructive :)
SHARE

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment